Band Saw Vs. Scroll Saw: What Should You Buy?
A band saw or a scroll saw is one of the most popular stationary power tools. They all help you to cut curves smoothly and accurately. Still, they have different features, pros, and cons. In case you are looking for such a tool to cut curves, which one should you buy? A band saw vs scroll saw. It is essential that you know about the main differences between these tools as well as your specific needs and preferences.
Check out our article below to see what separate a band saw from a scroll saw and their advantages and disadvantages.
1.The Main Difference Between A Scroll Saw And A Band Saw
The main similarity between two types of saws is that they can be used to cut curves. However, they are quite different, in their overall sizes, the sizes of the blades, the powers and the capacities.
- In general, a band saw is a bigger type of saw in comparison with a scroll saw.
- The blades of the band saw are longer than the blades of the scroll saw. The blades of the band saw are also thicker. Typically, they are 3/8 inches or more in width. On the other hand, the width of the scroll saws is about 0.25 inches. In addition, a typical scroll saw’s blade is about 5 to 6 inches in height while a typical band saw’s blade is 6 to 12 inches in height.
- These types of saws are also different in the movement of the saw blades. The blades of the scroll saw move up and down to cut while the blades of the band saw rotate around the rubber wheels to cut.
- In term of power, the scroll saw is not as powerful as the band saw. The band saw can make much more vigorous cuts. Hence, these cuts would be rougher than and not as smooth as the cuts made from the scroll saw
- Prices can vary a great deal among different models of band saws and scroll saws. However, an average band saw along with its accessories is more expensive than an average scroll saw and its accessories.
- Since the power that a scroll saw consumes will be less than the level of a band saw, the scroll saw is more energy efficient.
- A scroll saw is also known as a specialty saw while a band saw is known as a versatile saw.