Top 6 Best Band Saw Review for 2020 – Top Picks & Buying Guides
The band saw has a long metal strip in its structure. The texture of the tape is narrow and quite flexible. This strip is moving on two wheels that are located sharing the same vertical area. This tool has an excellent utility in the area of carpentry and metallurgy.
- 1 What Types of Band Saw Are There?
- 2 Benefits of Band Saw
- 3 What to Look for When Choosing a Band Saw
- 4 How to Use a Band Saw?
- 5 Security Measures to Take into Account
- 6 Review 6 Best Band Saw 2020
- 6.1 1. SWAG V3.0 Portaband Table – The Most Accurate
- 6.2 2. Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Band saw – The Most Comfortable
- 6.3 3. Milwaukee 6232-21 Deep Cut Band Saw – The Most Rugged and Durable
- 6.4 4. Milwaukee 2429-20 Cordless Band Saw – Best for Tight Space Work
- 6.5 5. Makita XBP02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Portable Band Saw – Highly Efficient
- 6.6 6. WEN 3962 Band Saw with Stand and Worklight – Best for Collecting Dust
- 7 Conclusion
What Types of Band Saw Are There?
Generally, there are 2 types of band saw in the market, differentiated by their support. So, the first one the so-called mountain ranges, they are large saws, they are directly supported on the ground. They are usually fixed in a space, since their transport, due to their size and weight, is complicated.
The other types are the so-called table saws. You will need a support to place them. They are much smaller and portable. In contrast, the fixation is less.
Benefits of Band Saw
The band saw is used to make work in wood and give it a curved shape. In the same way, this tool is highly efficient in performing all kinds of forms in metals. There is a variety of materials that also serve to be molded with irregular cuts with this powerful machine.
In the area of construction, this machine is of a unique utility since it allows to facilitate the elaboration of diverse works.
The industry in general benefits considerably with the use of this tool because it saves a lot of time and the work can be done at the construction site or where the piece placement is required, facilitating the assembly work.
This automated saw allows manufacturing a large number of pieces at once, thereby increasing productivity.
What to Look for When Choosing a Band Saw
A band saw is a tool of great utility in the industry that bases its production on metal, wood and its derivatives.
Due to the effort made by this tool, the band saw is made with a highly resistant steel, making it able to withstand the various working conditions to which it is subjected. Let's see some general characteristics that an excellent band saw should have:
The teeth must have an extreme hardness able to resist upsetting, matrixing and settling without any friction occurring in the machine.
It is important that this tool has tenacity when faced with strong impacts related to the cut that it must perform.
The saw must be structured with elements that are largely resistant to bending fatigue.
An optimum saw must always maintain its tension and rectitude. The tool is manufactured to make great efforts. Its composition must be kept intact before the high temperatures to which it will subject each work.
The level of tolerance of the machine must be broad to support the intensity of the tasks that must be performed. The tape must remain firm despite the thermal stresses to which it is subjected as well as the great efforts that must be made during the sawing.
The quality of the selected band saw will guarantee the useful life of the machine. For this reason, recognized tools must be acquired in the market due to their resistance.
How to Use a Band Saw?
Before starting with your cuts you should check if the band saw is well sharpened, distributed and if it is not damaged or heated. The heating of the band saw is manifested by the violet color that it acquires after cooling it.
- Adjust the blade tension of the band saw according to the factory instructions. The blade must be tight enough so that it does not slip or deflect when cutting, but be careful as a too-tight blade can damage the saw.
- Hold the material to be cut with both hands so that the body is out of reach beyond the level of the band saw.
- Do not cut the material by force.
- Start the cut until you get the full cutting speed.
- In case of cutting large pieces it is necessary to use the solid guide. When finishing the cut of the material use the means of subjection.
- The band saw must be changed and stopped regularly in order to preserve the mechanical characteristics of the tape material.
- In no case can the band saw be heated. If this is the case, stop the tape, distribute it once it has cooled down and sharpen it, eventually check its flatness. To avoid heating, it is necessary to sharpen and respect the cutting conditions.
- Remove the tape in case of cracks in them.
- After finishing the job you should always loosen the saw blade.
Here is a video tutorial on how to use a band saw:
Security Measures to Take into Account
Safety must be a constant premise when using any DIY tool. But when it comes to a band saw, it becomes fundamental. You should be especially focused and carry out the following points.
- Make a good fixation of the tool to the floor or to the work table.
- Know, in advance, how the tool works. To do this, help yourself with the instruction book or some expert person.
- You should wear eye protection, and if you can, safety mask for the face.
- Make sure you fix the guides correctly. If it is a table band saw, and if it has wheels, fry them.
- Be careful with your hands. You must keep your hands on the sides of the sheet.
- To cut narrow pieces, the use of a retention guide (Fence) and a push stick is recommended.
- Keep the surface where you are working clean from objects.
Review 6 Best Band Saw 2020
Taking into account the opinions of experts and users in the network such as the size and type of blade, that are appropriate to the materials and type of work to be done, the cutting capacity and ease of use and installation.
We can recommend Milwaukee 6232-21 Deep Cut Band Saw W/Case for professionals and DIY enthusiasts, who have preference for high-quality and easy to operate band saws.
This band saw is a very useful tools both in workshops and for DIY work, since it allow transversal cuts in a variety of materials such as wood, iron, plastic, among others, as well as being easy to install and quite stable.