Belt Sanders are electric machines featuring two rollers upon which the band sandpaper will be placed. The rotations of these rollers are used for sanding coarse and large surfaces. Power is the most important feature of these device thanks to the strong motor. Belt Sanders have a very great ease of use.
How Does a Belt Sander Work?
A belt sander is an electric and portable machine, which composed of a small electric motor and two rotating rollers at its base. The electric motor rotates the two rollers, which in turn hold a belt - hence the name belt sander - on which a sandpaper is mounted.
The spinning motion caused by the electric motor on the two rollers makes the sandpaper to rotate constantly. As a result of these, the sanding belt exerted pressure on the surface being worked on and generate a friction, which will progressively wear the material lawyers.
So, the ability of a belt sander to work on different materials, including, wood, aluminum or brass, etc. depends on how powerful it is.
Here is a video link tutoring you on how to use a belt sander:
Parts of a Belt Sander
- Engine: This delivers power to the sander that moves the rollers, which spin the sandpaper.
- Band: The flat surface in-between both rollers. The sandpaper is assembled on the band.
- Sandpaper: It is a sheet of rough paper that serves to devastate the surfaces of the material on which it works. The sandpaper is changed regularly.
What Are the Most Important Features?
Although, belt sanders are used for the same purpose. However, all belt sanders aren’t the same.
Some of these tools possess some particular features, which make them more suitable for some projects. In lieu of these, you must have a deep understanding of your project requirements in order to choose the appropriate sander for your work and make a successful purchase.
So, let’s take a look at some of the important features that should be taken into consideration when shopping for a belt sander .
This is the most important aspect of a belt sander that you should take into account when choosing your ideal model. The power of this machine is closely linked to three things:
- Materials you can work on: The more powerful the belt sander motor is, the more you can sand coarse and resistant surfaces, like oak.
- Durability: If the belt sander features a sufficiently powerful motor, then you exert less pressure on the tool while operating it at its maximum power, which will surely guarantee its long-term usage.
- Price: Though, it might sound logical, but the more power the belt sander offers, the higher the price.
The ideal electric motor for a high-quality belt sander should be between 700W and 900W of power.
2. Ease of sandpaper replacement
While working on a long-term or large project, you’ll definitely need to change the sanding sheet several times, either because the need of using another type of sanding sheet arises, or it got worn. In this type of scenario, you’ll be forced to stop work, replace the machine sandpaper with a new one.
However, if you find this procedure a bit difficult, it will definitely consume a huge amount of your working time. So, when choosing your belt sander model, ensure it is replacement friendly and easy to operate.
Ideally, the sandpaper replacement shouldn’t take more than two minutes. Luckily, robust models of belt sanders feature an inbuilt button that aid the removal of the sandpaper quickly and leave the machine ready to install a new one.
3. Speed rating
To achieve a smooth and even surface, belt sander speed rating system is highly important. When operating a belt sander, it is advisable to start with the minimum power and later increases it to the recommended strength depending on the material being operated on.
So, choosing a belt sander model that features a system that helps regulate the speed rotation is highly important.
In some belt sanders, it is a manual system, but in the most complete models, this system is automatic. A high-quality belt sander of a domestic band should feature a minimum of 4 speeds rotation, while the most professional models feature 12 speeds at maximum.
If the belt sander features a large band on which the sandpaper is assembled, then it can be operated on a wider surface, thereby saving you some working time. Therefore, a band with good length and width will be able to cover a larger area, while also allowing you to work very fast.
5. Waste collection accessory
When sanding, a large amount of sawdust or waste material will be produced. So, to keep your machine and working spaces clean every time, then owning a belt sander, which features a waste collector accessory for automatic waste removal.
6. Tool weight
Don’t forget that your belt sander should be easy to operate for long periods of time. The lit sander produces high level of vibration. So, as an operator, you must maintain the signature to achieve better and satisfying results on the surface.
Below are Top 6 Best Belt Sanders 2020
A reliable, well-built and durable belt sander that allows you to wear out its belts without experiencing a single breakage.
It comes with a serious and powerful blower that blows away the dust and reduces the heat of the sander while working, so you won’t be needing a vacuum to remove the dust. Its terrific balancing allows you to handle it beautifully even with one hands while working on a flat surface.
The sanding belt also tracks beautifully and perfectly, so no need to adjust it every time you’re working. This sander has a heavy weight that doesn’t need you to apply downward pressure, so you just need to guide it along the material length, while working.
Its dust bag catcher is highly efficient due to its ability to prevent dusts from escaping to the air by remaining firm to the sander.
- It is easy to control, change and replace the sandpaper.
- It is very powerful and can work on heavy projects making it perfect for professionals.
- It is well constructed and balanced.
- It has a heavy weight making it unsuitable for weak persons.
- Its heavy weight makes it unsuitable for working on underneath and vertical surfaces.
SKIL 7510-01 is a small belt sander capable of leveling high spots and joints on surfaces. This powerful machine is also used by professionals to remove materials quickly and catches it with its saw dust collecting canister.
However, be careful when emptying out the saw dust in order to prevent the saw dust collecting canister from getting cracked, or you can even use a hose to empty it.
This belt sander is very effective in spitting off the debris on floor, doors and so on. Its pressure gauge allows you to read your sanding pressure by showing a light indicator, which helps in preventing the belt sander from burning out and also prevent you from getting a sub-par result.
This tool also makes sanding uneven surface very easier and faster plus it gives it a finesse look.
- It is very powerful, sturdy and well constructed.
- It tracks the belt automatically.
- It is light in weight and doesn’t overheat.
- The filter box collects most of the dusts.
- It is easy to handle, work well and sand fast.
- It’s easy to change the belt and has an auto alignment.
- The dust collector gets filled up quickly and it’s difficult to empty.
This belt sander is specifically designed for touch-up work, making it the ideal tool for furniture making, fine carpentry, wood carving, etc.
Makita 9032 belt sander is well constructed and allows you clean up welds, smooth protruding screws, adjust door strikes plus it can easily reach close quarters or hard to reach spots.
Though, its small size makes it unsuitable for large projects, but it can remove serious materials quickly and accurately. It is light in weight, so you can maneuver it easily when working.
There is a 30 day money-back guarantee in case you aren’t satisfied with the machine and a one-year warranty for all the machine parts.
- It is quiet and easy to operate.
- It works best for detail sanding.
- It is durable and has an easy to adjust electronic speed for constant speed maintenance when working.
- Its bulky nature makes maneuvering difficult for touch-up work.
- It is a bit noisy.
- It removes a lot of materials in a hurry including those you don’t want to be removed.
For those working with metals, woods and fiberglass (boats), Makita 9031 belt sander is the perfect tool that enables you to sand hard-to-reach-spots and feather surface accurately at a faster rate.
This tool is small, light in weight (making it suitable for usage by one-handed people) and very powerful making it useful for working in narrow and vertical spaces like door frames.
You can adjust its speed when sanding without having to put it down. It features a dust collector bag that catches most of the dust made by the machine to prevent clogging. This implies that you will be working on cleaner spaces always and the tools will be easy to clean up after usage.
- It is very easy to operate and changing of the belt is fast and simple.
- It is a rugged and reliable tool.
- It is powerful, safe to use and light in weight.
- It needs to be cooled to avoid burning out.
Makita 9903 belt sander is one of the most excellent and reliable belt sanders for DIY enthusiast and professionals. It is easy to control, so you just need to guide it, without needing to apply extra pressure on it.
You can use it to level seams and high spots, plus it operates quietly so you won’t be needing an ear protector. It’s very powerful, well balanced, and has an ergonomic design that allows you to operate it comfortably for a very long time.
Its variable speed enables the belt to operate slowly and track extremely well, which enables you to remove small materials on the surface you want to grind.
- The machine works quietly without vibration, so you won’t be needing ear protector or disturbing others while working.
- It has an excellent dust catching bag that is very easy to empty.
- It has adjustable speed that allows you to remove materials quickly and accurately.
- It is ruggedly built and provides touch-up work.
- It allows more control over material removal.
- It removes materials at a faster rate and comes with a long cord.
- Its dust collector catches the dusts very well and it is easy to empty.
- The exhausts emitted from the motor blows towards the operator.
This highly powerful machine delivers a smooth and accurate results, making it ideal for woodworkers. This powerful machine features an 8.8 amp motor, which enables it to handle metals, woods, paint layers, etc., easily.
Its dust bag catcher collects most of the removed materials by the machine, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning up any mess after finishing your work.
Its variable speed works best when in contact with the surface to be sanded. It will start at a slow pace, judge the result and later increase the speed.
It rates of speed for smoothening a flat surface quickly makes it suitable for fine sanding especially in tight corners. You can also flip it on its back to serve as a stationary belt sander for sanding smaller pieces.
- It is very powerful and well balanced.
- It operates quietly, making it suitable to use in a quiet environment.
- Its box shape enables you to lay the machine down anywhere and even clamp it if the necessity arises.
- It has a long cord that allows you to maneuver easily.
- Its belt is easy to adjust and stay on track.
- It is easy to control and used by DIY enthusiasts and professionals for heavy-duty jobs.
- It can work on metals, woods, and every other thing you want to sand.
- It has a heavy weight (though, it works to your advantage when working on a flat surface).
- Its dust port does get clogged easily.
For any DIY enthusiasts and professionals who have the preference for easy to operate and high-quality belt sander, Makita 9403 11 Amp 4-Inch-by-24-Inch Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag is the ideal model for your projects.
This sander has a heavy weight and a terrific balancing, which makes it require less pressure from you. It also tracks beautifully and perfectly, so no need for adjustment while working.
It is durable and possesses a dust blower that makes the machine and the work surface clean. The operator always remains clean because the belt sander dust bag collects most of the removed materials.