10 Best Cordless Drills for Professional Technicians
An electric tool as versatile as a cordless drill shouldn’t be missing in your toolbox. Drilling can be very uncomfortable, especially when you need to keep an eye on the plugging hole. Here, you’ll be provided the needed support required to find the best cordless drills available in the market.
What is a cordless drill?
A cordless drill is a useful domestic tool, mostly used by DIY enthusiasts or professionals in drilling hard surfaces like cements, tiles or bricks.
How to choose a cordless drill.
When choosing a cordless drill, there are some fundamental features that should be put into consideration for a quality and best cordless drill and are listed below.
When using a cordless drill, the power of this device is the most important element that allows you to do what you want to do with it. Both involve the supports you will be working on and the existing drilling depth. Obviously, with more power, the greater the capacity to work on bits and harder materials.
In this regard, it is helpful that the cordless drill also has a speed change system, that allows you to change the power shown by the device based on the material to be drilled. Assuming the drill doesn’t have this speed control, this will make it act excessively powerful on more fragile materials that can be damaged such as wood, for instance. Hence, the best option is to select a powerful cordless drill, that let you maintain the power control.
When choosing a drilling tool, it is best to evaluate the work to be done by this device, as well as a screwdriver. Suppose you will be using the cordless drill at some specific time indoors, then it is preferable to opt for cable saving drill.
If you decide to use it as screwdrivers, then use it all the time, especially in places of difficult access such as when the plugs are far away and it is best to use the model with batteries. And since cordless drills always come with two batteries, you won’t have problem finishing your work.
This is one of the features that cause a cordless drill to stop spinning automatically when the trigger is released. These features are always present in cordless drills, whereas it is hardly found in other drills.
Although, you won’t spend much time holding and using the cordless drill, but you must take into account the weight and design of these tools, particularly when you are working on a long hour project.
The ergonomic design of cordless drill, generally, should enhance the project being worked on, although this aspect is of fewer concerns in the most economical drills, which can cause discomfort during use. Among the features to consider is the traditional design that looks like a pistol, the existence of handles and the quality of the materials used to make it.
Weight of cordless drill should be considered when you plan on using it for a long period of time, for example, when drilling roofs, which make the work heavier. In this type of situation, it is better to purchase a lighter and comfortable drill for usage, although as we mentioned above, the use is what will give us the key.
How can a cordless drill be used?
Cordless drills are used same way as the wired one. Besides, we have different types of drills, and they are chosen based on the tasks to be done. So, once your choice is made, you must also decide the right wick or bit surface to use it on and the required dimensions needed for performing a drill. Also, necessary is a pencil, a hammer drill, and safety or protective lenses.
There must be certain precautions guiding the use and choice of this necessary and important tool for every construction worker. After the chosen bit has been placed, you now apply the drilling tool to it. Place the drill and turn the mandrel in an anti-clockwise direction. It is closed and the head is tightened with the suitable key for a drill. The key must be removed from it before use.
Here is a YouTube link that teaches how to use a cordless drill:
Advantages and disadvantages of cordless drills
Cordless drills are electrical drills that use batteries to run after charging it. So, here we present the advantages and disadvantages offered by cordless drill:
- It is easy in locating the outlet to use a cordless drill.
- Cordless drills offered comfort and freedom of movement when being used thereby eliminating the frustration that comes with cable.
- Cordless drills are also used as safe and efficient screwdrivers.
- Among the drawbacks of cordless drills is its battery life. For a long time use, it is best to have an extra battery available in order to continue working while charging the other battery.
Top 10 Best Cordless Drills
1. BLACK+DECKER LDX120C 20V MAX Lithium Ion Drill / Driver – The Most Comfortable
LDX120C cordless drill made by BLACK & DECKER has compact design that makes it useful in tight spaces without experiencing much difficulty. This tool can also be used from several angles without impacting the end product quality.
With a weight of 3.4 pounds, you won’t feel tired holding it for a very long time. Though, this tool is one of the smallest cordless drills available in the market, but this doesn’t prevent it from delivering a reliable, powerful and top notch results that allows you success in your project.
Possessing a torque of 115lb and 650 RPM at maximum, this cordless drill can work on any surface without difficulty, especially when drilling a concrete or brick and it will still deliver a quality performance.
Part of the features it possesses is the durability of its battery. If left unused, the battery can store the power for 18 months, which make you feel at ease anytime you are ready to use it. It requires between 1 to 2 hours to restore the charge fully for users when they forget to charge before using it.
It is insulated with a anti-slip and soft material that not only let you feel at ease when handling it but also keep your hands from sweating.
- It has a LED light that allows you to work in dark areas by illuminating it.
- Its battery is quickly to charge, reliable and last longer.
- It is light in weight with a compact design.
- It is very strong and powerful.
- It is best suited for small activities at home.
- The chuck is difficult to tight especially for the first timers.
- With a torque of 115 inch per pound, it doesn’t fit for heavy jobs.
2. BLACK+DECKER LD120VA 20-Volt Max Lithium Drill/Driver with 30 Accessories – The Most Valuable
LD120VAV has a good working size with a weight of 4.2 pounds and a measurement of 8.9 by 4 by 7.8 inches. It comes with 30 accessories like chain saw, hex heads, trimmer, screwdriver bits, hedge trimmer, and drill bits. Its has a compact design and a handle grip that is made of rubber, which allows you to grip it comfortably.
So any drill with a weight less than 5 pounds is easy to work with, without causing aches and pain to your arms and hand. It can also work in tight spaces such as under sink work, cabinet building, and shelving.
Black and Decker LD120VA battery is of 20V, which when charged and left unused, can hold the charge for about 18 months without losing a bit of it. This means you can use the battery anytime.
Since the battery is reliable and last longer, it can produce speeds that ranges from 0 to 750RPM, which enables you to be in control especially for uses on different materials.
The drill chuck is 3/8 inches, plus it also has storage that can accommodate different heads, which is very beneficial in preventing you from searching around for right size bits.
- IThe battery is super thin and charges way quicker.
- It has a light weight and easy to use.
- It comes with a 24 position clutch that prevents the screws from stripping off.
- It has no LED light making it unfavorable to work with in low light areas.
3. DEWALT DCD777C2 20V Max Lithium-Ion Brushless Compact Drill Driver – The Most Rugged
This DEWALT DCD777C2 20V Max Lithium-Ion Brushless Compact Drill Driver comes with a lightweight design, compact design, and high performance motor that deliver 200W power output. It also has a high speed transmission, which produces two speed variation, that enables you to select the level of performance based on the projects being worked on.
With its compact size, you can work in tight spaces and can work on materials ranging from woods to concrete. It has no brush, so you don’t have to worry about replacing them.
It has an excellent build quality with a strong and solid drill. This cordless drill is best suitable for home users and it comes with two batteries that make it a plus for DIY enthusiasts.
It also has a fast charger that allows you to charge one battery while working with the second one, a feat that enables you to work for long duration. The batteries charge can last for a longer period.
- The bits are easy to fit.
- It has a compact and lightweight (2.5 pounds) design that makes it easy to handle.
- The chuck get loosened at times, which can make the bit to fall out.
4. BLACK+DECKER BDCDMT120C 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Matrix Drill/Driver – The Most Accurate
BDCDMT120 matrix connects system allows you to drill, sand, cut and access other power tools using a base tool.
It was specifically designed for homeowners or DIY enthusiasts. Because of the number of tools it possesses, that makes it useful in tight spaces, especially when working on repair and construction. Among the feature exhibited by this tool is that it is well-balanced and comfortable when handled. It is portable and can be carried around in your bag for projects.
It has an outstanding and powerful lithium-ion battery with great backup time. You can be charging it when you are busy with something else. You didn’t have to worry about the charged battery has it can keep the charge for about 18 months.
This cordless drill comes with multiple settings, a total of 10, with a chuck of size 3/8 inch, making it perfect for different drilling tasks. It can work on materials such as plastic, metal and wood. It has a custom speed that allows you to adjust the drill driving speed based on the surface being worked done in order to prevent the material from getting damaged.
- It is strong and solid with a very powerful lithium-ion battery.
- It can be used by both DIY enthusiasts and professionals.
- It has a great, compact and lightweight (4.14 pounds) design and a durable battery.
- It is not suitable for heavy jobs.
- It has a long charging time.
5. Milwaukee M12 12V 3/8-Inch Drill Driver (2407-20) – The Least Heaviest
This cordless drill helps in creating holes in install fasteners and drywalls. With a 12V motor that can reach a power of 275 inch pounds worth of torque for an efficient and fast drilling on hard surfaces, this drill has an ergonomic handled design that enables you to work for hours without feeling any pain in your hand and arm.
It also features an onboard gauge that displays the charge left in the battery in order to manage your work effectively, thereby improving production and eliminates interruptions. Its two gear allows you to work at the perfect pace for each task and a ratcheting chuck completely made of a durable strong metal that holds the bits in a secure manner. So you don’t have to worry about bits getting lost or retightening of bits.
- It has a lightweight of 2.1 pounds and compact design with a durable battery that requires less time to charge.
- It features a two-speed gear for enhanced control.
- Its onboard LED lights illuminate dark areas and make it possible to work in them.
- Its battery gauge display prevents you from running out of time.
- It is not ideal for heavy projects.
- Its transport box is very heavy.
6. WORX WX176L 20V Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill – The Most Versatile
This 2-in-1 cordless drill and driver collection has its own uniqueness. It allows you to combine 2 drill bits at a time while alternating between the two in a rapid and single motion. It also has two chucks of size 1/4 inches that revolve at 180 degrees by pressing a button.
With its unique double-chuck, you can easily switch between driving and drilling with no stoppage required to change the bit. You can load the standard 1/4 hex bits with both chucks, drill the hole of your choice and later tap the button to operate the screw and turn on the second chuck.
Since the bits are well fitted, you can work for a very long time at a faster rate. With a weight of 3.1 lbs., this switchdriver is easy to control, lightweight and compact. It also has a reversible motor with variable speed that gives the required amount of power to execute most fastening, driving and drilling projects at home.
Its accurate electronic torque button gives you the choice to select from 11 positions and torque of 265-in-lbs. for setting screws accurately with no work surface damage.
- Its 20V MAX lithium-ion batteries is powerful and lightweight.
- It is highly versatile and saves time.
- It comes with LED light that allows you to work in dark areas.
- It is easy and quick to change the driver heads.
- It has no hook or belt clips.
- The charger has no auto shutoff.
7. Bosch 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit DDB181-02 – The Most Portable
Bosch DDB181 has a lightweight and compact design with a 18V basic duty and ½ in. drill or driver. Because of its lightweight and compact design, it can be used by professionals to drill/drive fasteners in tight spaces without any stress. Bosch DDB181 are mostly preferred by HVAC tradesman, plumbers and electricians because of its durability when executing projects (18V battery power) plus it perfectly fit into the pouch.
It also has two variable speeds and delivers torque of 350 inch/pounds, which can perfectly drill bits and fasteners.
It has a stylish design and it is very powerful. It has a built in LED lights that make it useful in low light areas such as garage and warehouse. It comes with a charger, 2 lithium ion batteries, a storage case and the drill.
- It has an inbuilt LED light that make it useful in executing projects with accuracy in low light areas.
- It has two lithium ion batteries.
- It has a two speed transmission.
- It comes with no battery indicator.
- Changing the drill direction is stressful and has a brushed motor.
- Its chuck system wear out easily.
8. BLACK+DECKER GCO1200C 12-volt Cordless Drill with Over Molds – The Quickest
BLACK+DECKER GCO1200C possess enhancing features that greatly benefit your drilling projects. Among its features is the 24 position clutch that helps in holding the screws from falling off, thereby making it last long.
It also has a slide pack battery that ensures an efficient and fast drilling experience without any hindrance. The battery can also be place and remove quickly and easily. BLACK+DECKER GCO1200C 12-volt Cordless Drill keyless chuck allows you to change the drill bits without much hassles.
Its has a variable-speed reverse option that allows you to use it for whatever projects you are working on. This cordless drill measures 11.1 by 3.46 by 9.53 inches and is lightweight at 3.4 lbs.
Its compact design allows you to work accurately without any fatigue on your wrist. Its handle grip is made of soft rubber that allows you to work accurately. Its includes: Double ended bits with drills, charger and a 12 volt battery.
- It is light in weight and easy to control.
- It is easy to use, change and put in the bits.
- It has a keyless chuck and a clutch of 24 positions.
- It is less powerful compare to other drills.
- It has no battery indicator.
Bosch PS31-2A is a lightweight (2.1 pounds) and compact cordless drill or driver. Though, it has a small size, it is a very powerful and versatile drill. It has a keyless chuck, 20+1 clutch settings, tape speed ranges, a reversible motor and a built in LED lights.
It is easy to operate and well balanced. Despite its inability to work on heavy duty tasks, it is ideal for DIY enthusiasts for handling home projects. It comes with a charger, two lithium ion batteries and a carrying case that contains PS31-2A driver. With its fast charger and two batteries, you will be able to work for a longer duration.
With its two convenient speed settings and night torque, Bosch PS31-2A can drill through materials such as metal, wood and drywall.
- It is light in weight and has a compact design.
- It inbuilt LED light allows you to work in any conditions such as low light areas and dark corners.
- It has two 12 volt lithium ion batteries that allow you to work long time.
- It can work in tight spaces.
- It is not ideal for heavy duty tasks.
- Its batteries cannot be removed for charging.
10. Milwaukee 2606-20 M18 1/2" Drill Driver – Best of the best for professionals
Milwaukee 2606-20 M18 1/2" Drill Driver built with a four pole frameless motor provides torque of 500 inches pounds and a two speed gear with the highest at 1800 RPM and the lowest at 400 RPM. This frameless motor is easier to clean. With a length of 7-1/4 inches, this Cordless drill allows you to work in tight spaces.
With a ½ in. chuck and an all gear metal case, gives maximum durability even in a very challenging environment. It also has a RedLink Intelligence technology that protects the drill driver from overloading or overheating, which allows the tool to work for a long period of time.
Its 16+1 clutch settings allow you to adjust the settings based on your preference and the projects being worked on. It is lightweight at 2.9 pounds with a compact design. It has an onboard battery indicator that shows the current battery level.
- It has an inbuilt LED light making it ideal in dark or low light areas.
- It is powerful and last long.
- It is lightweight with compact design.
- It has a 4-pole frameless motor.
- Its recharge time is 30 minutes.
- It is designed with an onboard battery level indicator.
- It has no bit holder nor a belt clip.
For any professionals or hobbyists, looking to have his or her own cordless drilling tool, Milwaukee 2606-20 M18 1/2" Drill Driver is the best cordless drill that is suitable for your projects.
It has a RPM up to 1800, light in weight (2.9 pounds) with compact design, has a battery that charges way quicker. It also comes with a 16+1 clutch settings that allows you to adjust the settings based on your choice and the projects being worked on, a pistol handle shape and very powerful which makes it ideal for heavy jobs.
All of the above make it the best cordless drill for DIY enthusiasts and professionals that want to work on different project with wide variety of materials.