6 Best Mini Lathe In 2020 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
It is easy to understand that for any wood working project, you would want to have the best tool and equipment. They will ensure the highest level of efficiency and safety. The same goes for mini metal lathes as well. Of course, you would want the best mini lathe that meets all of your needs and equipment.
In case you are looking for best mini lathe reviews, you are arriving at the right place. This article below will provide you with the most important aspects that you should know when buying a mini metal lathe. In the end, it will introduce some of the best models on the market along with their pros and cons.
- 1 What to Consider When Buying a Mini Metal Lathe
- 2 What You Can Find in a Good Mini Metal Lathe
- 3 Reviews of Mini Metal Lathes 2020
- 3.1 1: Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch
- 3.2 2. Mophorn Metal Lathe Precision Mini Lathe Variable Speed 2500 RPM 550W
- 3.3 3. Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe by Central Machinery
- 3.4 4. Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe Variable Speed 2500 RPM
- 3.5 5. Grizzly G0602 Bench Top Metal Lathe, 10 x 22-Inch
- 3.6 6. Shop Fox M1015 6-Inch by 10-Inch Micro Lathe
- 4 Conclusion
What to Consider When Buying a Mini Metal Lathe
A mini metal lathe is one of the most essential tools for any DIY hobbyist as it helps to shape, rotate as well as knurling various shapes of different types of materials.
Here are some aspects you need to consider when choosing a mini metal lathe:
- Weight and stability: A mini lathe isn’t very heavy. However, if you want to have the lightest model on the market, you might come up with one which tends to vibrate a lot.
- Bed length: Typically, the bed length of a mini metal lathe ranges from 760 to 920 mm. If you don’t often work with large pieces of wood or metal, you don’t have to choose a lathe with longer bed as it will create more vibration. For the same reason, the ideal distance between the centers of the mini lather should range from 30 to 36 inches.
- Lathe bed: The material of the bed should be made of durable materials featuring metal bars and a flat cast bed.
- Headstock: Make sure that the headstock is solid and sturdy with decent amount of spread between the bearings.
- Spindle: The standard measurement for spindle is /75 inch x 16 TPI.
- Stand: If you don’t have a bench or a stable working station, consider buying a stand to mount your mini lathe.
What You Can Find in a Good Mini Metal Lathe
Overall, the best small metal lathe would be strong and powerful, showing by the number of horsepower it has. In addition, it has great capacity to handle many types of materials.
It also comes with variable speed setting, allowing you to work on the pace you desire. Either when you want to get things done quickly or with precision, you will be able to achieve that.
A high quality mini metal lathe would also be flexible, versatile, stable and durable. All of these characteristics will help you to have the best experience when handling wood or metal with the small but powerful tool.
Last but not least, it is good to know that you don’t have to pay a hefty amount of money for a high quality mini metal lathe. There are many manufacturers of mini metal lathe now on the market, which helps to drive down the price without sacrificing quality and capabilities.
You should know that there are several types of lathes on the market including the mini metal lathe, engine lathe, turret lathe and stationary lathe – the largest type of lathe. A mini metal lathe works and functions like a normal sized lathe, with the exception that it is much smaller and more compact.
With a lot of choices of mini metal lathe on the market, it is difficult to determine which one is the best small lathe for you. The mini metal lathe which works well for your neighbor might not work well for you. There are couples of things that you need to weight in order to find the one which meets all of your needs and requirements.
Reviews of Mini Metal Lathes 2020
Here are the top 6 models of mini metal lathes that you can find on the market at the moment.
Throughout the best mini lathe reviews, you can see that each of the mini metal lathes on the list has their own pros and cons. Nevertheless, they come with high quality materials which are strong, sturdy and durable.
In addition, they can operate in different speeds, allowing you to change for the unique needs of different projects. Last but not least, they are energy efficient and effective in term of cutting smooth and precise cuts.
The one which obtains the highest score from this review is the Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch which is among the most popular mini metal lathes that you can find on the market. This one is versatile, easy to use and helps to produce the best cuts.
The Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe by Central Machinery is also as powerful as the Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch. However, it is smaller in size and dimensions, making it less versatile as it can work on small and medium pieces of materials.
On the other hand, the Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch supports different types of materials of different sizes. You can use this mini meta lathe for a DIY project or even industrial uses.
With the right tool, you would be able to perform any woodworking project easily. Hence, it is important that you invest time and effort in searching for the right mini lathe. There are a lot options that you can find on the market so make sure you read reviews such as one above to find for yourself a high quality mini metal lathe.