The Best Wood Jointers In 2019 – Review Before Buying
The best wood jointer is definitely what you would need to make a piece of wood as straight and smooth as possible. There are a lot of models of wood jointers on the market and without choosing carefully, you might end up getting a low quality wood jointer. And what is the point of owning a wood jointer if you couldn’t straight or smooth a piece of wood with it. Therefore, it is very important that you know about what to look for when buying a wood jointer and choose one carefully.
This article below will provide you information about what to consider in a wood jointer and how to look for one that meets all of your needs and requirements. Read on at the end of the article for the 5 best wood jointer reviews and see what you can have on the market.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A WOOD JOINTER?
A wood jointer uses several knives and blades to cut and smooth the surface of a piece of wood. Overall, you need put the piece of wood you are working with on a feed table against the fence then move the wood across the cutting blades or knives. Wood jointers are different in table lengths, width of the jointers and different types of blades and knives. Hence, there are a lot of things that you need to consider when choosing a wood jointer on the market.
- Design: On the market, wood jointers come with 3 different types of designs including closed stand, open stand and benchtop design. While the choices of which design is the best for you is based on personal preference, it is worth noting that the closed stand wood jointer is most effective in term of keeping dust and debris from getting into the motor. It is also heavier and more stable, hence, is more capable of handling heavy duty tasks. On the other hand, an open stand jointer is more flexible and comfortable. It is also cheaper in comparison with closed stand model. The smallest type among all is the benchtop design. This type of wood jointer is suitable for a small working station. However, it doesn’t work well if you cut wood longer than 6 inches. Not to mention that it is the least stable.
- Cutterheads: There are 2 types of cutterheads that you can find on the market, which are the straight knife cutterheads and the high speed steel knives. The straight cut would leave your wood perfectly flat, especially when you run it at a low feed speeds. On the other hand, the high speed steel knives leave spiral pattern. The choice of which cutterheads you need to consider is up on you.
- Bed width: The next thing that you need to consider is the bed width of the wood jointers. Most of these machines on the market come with 2 options of bed width- the 6 inch bed and the 8 inch bed. The latter will generally cost more than the former. Most of the household projects will do just fine with the 6 inch bed. However, if you have to deal with long piece of wood, you should go for a wood jointer with an 8 inch bed.
- Cutting depth: The cutting depth of a wood jointer indicates how deep each time the wood jointer can cut to the piece of wood you are working with. With a ½ inch or ¾ cutting depth, it would take less time to straight a piece of wood than when you use a wood jointer with a 5/8 cutting depth.
- Dust collection port: This feature of wood jointer is very helpful in case you want to keep your working station clean and tidy. It also helps to prevent any accidents which might arise when the working station is full of dust and debris.
- Motor horsepower: This will determine how powerful a wood jointer is and its capability when dealing with different types of wood. The standard horsepower is 1. With this level of horsepower, your wood jointer would be able to smoothen both of the hardwood and softwood.
There are many things that you need to consider when choosing a wood jointer including the warranty and the manufacturers. Choosing a reputational and high quality wood jointer manufacturer will ensure you could buy a good quality product worthy of the manufacturer’s name. Some of the best manufacturers for your consideration include Jet, Powermatic and CUTECH, to name just a few. In addition, you should only buy a wood jointer when it comes with at least 1 year warranty. Other wood jointers might also come with 5 year warranty, which needs to be considered as well.
Last but not least, read the best wood jointer reviews that you are going to buy on the market. Amazon is a great site for you to look for other’s opinion and experience of using a particular wood jointer on the market.
TOP 5 WOOD JOINTERS REVIEW 2019
After reviewing about 5 of the best wood jointers on the market, the best choices for DIY hobbyists are the JET 708457DXK JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch and the Powermatic 1791317K 54HH 6-Inch Jointer with helical cutterhead. They both come in the compact sizes with the suitable capability that can help you to smooth and straight most of the pieces of woods. There are a wide range of blades and knives to choose from as well. In addition, they are convenient to set up and operate with.
When these wood jointers are compared together, the best choice for you is the Powermatic 1791317K 54HH 6-Inch Jointer with helical cutterhead. It has all of the features that you would need in a wood jointer- the ability to work with a wide range of woods of different types and hardness. Not to mention that it offers one of the highest level stability, ensuring your safety while you work on your project. In addition, it has easy operation which is suitable for both professional technicians and DIY hobbyists. While this wood jointer is quite expensive, its heavy duty construction and durability will ensure that your initial investment will last for a long time
With a lot of options to choose from- from the 6 inch bed or 8 inch bed, to the spiral cutterheads or straight cutterhead, the number of choices for you is simply endless. I know that the process of choosing the right wood jointers for you is surely overwhelming. But trust me, it is also rewarding at the end. With a suitable and high quality wood jointer, you would be able to straighten woods and decorate on them easily.
I hope that with all of the