Bosch Vs Dewalt – The Comparison Between 2 Of Our Favorite Brands
In case you are searching for a power tool- like a circular saw or a table saw, there are a lot of factors that you need to consider. You need to look at the power, the capacity, as well as the efficiency. But how do you know that the tool that you are going to buy have all of the characteristics that you would need? You take a look at reviews of the best models available in the market, and you consider some of the most famous brands.
Take a look at some reviews of the best power tools on the market. You will see that most of the lists will be dominated by some famous brands. Two of the most common names including Bosch and DeWalt would come up. They are all the brands which have been established for a long time and are still running well with their high-quality and highly-rated pieces of machinery.
First, let’s read some background information on both of the companies:
1. What You Should Know About DeWalt
This company has been running for more than 92 years. It was founded by Raymond E. DeWalt, hence the name of the company, in America. The first invention of the founder is the radial arm saw. During the Second War World, there was a great increase in the need for national defense machinery including guns. The company took that great chance to grow its business, selling its products to contractors and professionals.
One of the most recent turning points for DeWalt happened in 1994. In that year, the company started to produce and sell cordless tools. In 2010, cordless tools with batteries made from lithium ion are sold to the public, becoming one of the company’s most popular product lines.
You can choose from more than DeWalt’s 200 hand tools along with nearly 1000 accessories.
2. What You Should Know About Bosch
Bosch was founded a little bit earlier than DeWalt. Unlike DeWalt which is an America company, Borsch is a Germany company. And while DeWalt started its business with the radial arm saw, Bosch had its own spark plug and the advanced ignition systems. After that, in 1932, Bosch introduced the electric hammer drill, which is probably one of the most popular products of Bosch ever since it is founded.
Currently, Bosch is running in many industries, including the automotive industries, owning a lot of inventions- from fridges, lifts to eBike, to name just a few.
Now let’s consider the quality of the power tools produced by Bosch and DeWalt:
Comparison between different brands can be a very challenging task. Not to mention that I am about to compare two of the top companies. Let’s just take a look at the similar tools that both of the brands have to see if they offer differentiated value.
1. The Kits
You don’t have to buy separate tools but a complete kit from both Bosch and DeWalt. However, some of the tools are different in these kits.
- What they both have: A hammer drill, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, a flashlight, two batteries, a battery charger, and a carrying case.
- DeWalt also includes an impact driver.
As you can see, DeWalt offers more items than Bosch. And not just that, Bosch offers 2 18-volt batteries while DeWalt offers 2 18-volt batteries.
Each tool from the Bosch toolkit operates with an 18-volt battery. It means that the tools from DeWalt are more powerful than their counterparts from Bosch. However, it is worth mentioning that the batteries which are 20 volts will take a longer amount of time to charge, in comparison with the 18-volt batteries. The 18-volt batteries from Bosch allow you to fully charge your tools quickly. They are also longer lasting than the batteries offered by DeWalt.
Last but not least, the toolkit of DeWalt is relatively cheaper than the toolkit of Bosch. Hence, if you are looking for tools with a tight budget, the Dewalt’s toolkit is a more reasonable choice.
These are the differences that you can clearly see. Now let’s discuss in more details about the differences of the specific tools.
2. The Reciprocating Saw
In my opinion, the reciprocating saw of Bosch has a better design and technology, though the discrepancy is quite small.
The reciprocating saw of Bosch has 2 speed ranges, allowing you to change the speed which you feel the most comfortable with. On the other hand, the reciprocating saw of DeWalt also has a variable speed trigger but it doesn’t have 2 speed ranges. As a resulting, matching the speed of the saw with the speed you can work with a little bit more difficult.
3. The Circular Saw
The circular saw of Bosch tends to be more versatile and functional than the circular saw of DeWalt. For example, the circular saw of Bosch has a bevel that can rotate around 50 degrees. On the other hand, the circular saw of DeWalt is fixated as it can be put in only 1 position.
Not to mention that the blade of the Bosch’s circular saw is more durable than the blade of the DeWalt’s saw. It wouldn’t get heated as quickly as well.
4. The Hammer Drill
The hammer drill of Bosch uses an innovative technology which is called the “active response technology”. This means that when there is any problem such as the drill getting stuck, the drill will stop automatically. As a result, you can prevent any unwanted accident or injury when you work with this tool. For an amateur DIY hobbyist, this option from the hammer drill of Bosch is very useful.
And it is worth mentioning that the hammer drill is the iconic and most famous power tool of Bosch. Hence, the quality and function of the Bosch’s hammer drill seem to exceed the quality and functionality of the DeWalt’s hammer drill.
5. The Flashlight
The last item that I want to compare between two brands- Bosch and DeWalt is the flashlight. The bulb of the DeWalt’s flashlight is a LED bulb. On the other hand, the type of the bulb of Bosch’s flashlight is the regular type.
The LED bulb is better than the regular bulb in many aspects. In term of brightness, the LED bulb will be brighter. It can also last for a longer time and consume less energy than the regular type of bulb.
6. Other Tools
Besides the tools that you can buy in a toolkit from Bosch and DeWalt, you can also buy different tools separately such as the table saw or the biscuit planer. As I mention above, all of the tools from Bosch and DeWalt are famous for the quality and the reliability. Some tools from Bosch are better than some tools of DeWalt and vice versa, at least in my opinion. That is the reason why you need to look at all of the aspects of a power tool carefully. You should also think about your needs to make your most informed choice. So what do you need to consider?
- Warranty: Bosch offers the 3-year warranty period for its power tools. It also offers a 2-year warranty service for its batteries along with its chargers. In term of products from DeWalt, the company is so confident in the quality of its hand and mechanics tools that it offers the lifetime warranty period for these tools. It also offers a 3-year warranty period for its power tools, just like Bosch.
- The Safety: As I mentioned when I compare between the hammer drill of Bosch and the hammer drill of DeWalt, you will notice the “Active Response Technology”. This kind of technology from Bosch makes it safer for you to handle its tools. When there is any stuck or incident, the tool will stop, preventing accidents and injuries.
- The Availability: You might like the power that the DeWalt’s toolkit which offers the 20-volt batteries. However, keep in mind that not all of the tools of DeWalt would operate on the 20-volt batteries.
- The Size And Weight: Last but not least, these are the factors that you need to consider if you want to have compact power tools. You can easily compare the weight and the size of these power tools. Keep in mind that for some power tools such as the table saw, you need to trade off the weight of the power tool for the vibration.
So after our comparison, which brand should you go for when you go searching for a toolkit? Well, here are a few things that you should take into consideration:
- If you want to buy more tools in a single toolkit, or if you want to buy an impact drill, you can choose the toolkit offered by DeWalt. On the other hand, if you already have an impact drill, you can opt for the toolkit of Bosch to save you some money.
- In case that you want to buy more powerful tools, go for DeWalt.
- Do you want the batteries of your tools to last for a longer time? Do you want the batteries of our tools to be charged quickly? Opt for the 18-volt batteries offered by Bosch.
- Think about the tools that you are going to use a lot. Take an example that you are going to use the circular saw a lot. You might want a versatile circular saw with a lot of functions for you to choose from and a durables blade. In this case, the toolkit from Bosch (with a higher-quality circular saw) should be your top consideration. On the other hand, if you already have a high-quality circular saw and want to have a premium flashlight, you can choose the toolkit of DeWalt. The bulb of a DeWalt’s flashlight is very bright and long lasting.
Overall, when you ask around for the best tools to buy, you will get recommendations for Bosch and DeWalt a lot. They are among the most popular brands with a long and rich history. They are trusted by both DIY hobbyists and professional workers all over the world. As these companies both produce high-quality tools, it can be difficult to decide on which brand to buy.
I hope that with all of the information above, you can quickly decide which brand is more suitable for your skills as well as your needs. The decision on which brand to use depends entirely on you, and your own unique needs and preferences. Regardless of what brand you choose, as long as you know to handle the tool, I am sure that you will make the most informed decisions.