How To Cut A Circle In Wood Using 2 Methods
A circle in wood can be used for many purposes. It makes a really nice and useful table. It can also be made in to a vintage and unique clock. I have also seen many people using wooden circles for decoration purposes.
Making a circle in wood is not as hard as you might think. There are many ways and many tools you can use to make a piece of wood into a circle. Check the article below and I will provide some interesting ways on how to cut a circle in wood.
1. How to cut a circle using a jigsaw
Tools That You Would Need For The Project:
- A measuring tape, a pencil and a compact
- A table saw, a rasp and a 60 grit coarse and a 100 Grit medium
- Your gear of protection equipment
Steps on cutting a circle with a jigsaw:
- Prepare a piece of plywood, put it on the table. Remember to mark the end grain as well as the side of the plywood for further use.
- Take out the measuring tape, measure the diameter of the circle and mark the central point of the circle. (I think that everyone would know how to mark the central point. If you draw the line of 10 inches, the central point would be 5 inches far from the tip of the measurement tape.)
- From the central point, you can use a compact to draw the circle with the diameter of your choice.
- In the next step, you need to put the piece of wood with the draw of a circle onto the holder and use jigsaw to cut it. First, you need to cut the outer square covering the inner circle. Afterward, you can put the square back to the holder and use the jigsaw to cut through the wood, going along the line of the circle you have drawn on the board before.
- This is a very important step. Take the rasp and start brushing it against the outer side of the plywood. You need to move the rasp from the side towards the end grain. Then turn the piece of wood around and doing the same step, moving the rasp from the side towards the end grain for the rest of the circle.
- After you finish brushing the outer sides of the circle, you can continue to smoothen the surface of the circle’s outer side by using the 60 grit coarse and brush the outer sides thoroughly.
- In addition, you can take the 100 grit medium and brush the outer cut sides of the circle.
- Finally, you can use a file to rub against the surface of the cut. You now have a perfect circle made in wood.
What is the problem of using this method? In order to make a perfect circle using jigsaw, you need to have a steady hand. It would take a longer time as well as more skills. However, you don’t have to set up anything or prepare any complicated equipment.
2. How to cut a circle using a table saw
The table saw is effective in term of cutting straight pieces. But it can also be used to cut circles as well.
Tools That You Would Need For The Project: a table saw with a channel guide in the table top, wood glue, a drill and flat head screws. Don’t forget your personal protection equipment.
Steps on cutting a circle with a table saw:
- Prepare your table saw with the table saw blade and the plywood. Make sure that the thickness of the plywood is appropriate. Otherwise, the blade would not be able to cut through.
- Get the piece of wood that you want to cut the circle from. Think about the diameter of your circle and mark the central point using a measuring tape and a pencil.
- Drill a small hole in the center of the circle.
- Then place the plywood into the board with the drilled hole onto the channel guide and start slicing. Note: You might want to take straight cuts first to get rid of the areas around the circle before getting onto the circle itself.
- Then spin the board for the table saw to cut it into the circle.
What is the problem of using this method? It would take you some time to setup a jig. In addition, you need to create a hole in the center of the circle. However, the outer surface of the circle is really smooth. Not to mention that the curves that you get are perfect!
Here are some more tips you should know in order to handle the project safely and efficiently:
- Before you start your woodworking project, always wear your safety gear to protect your eyes and ears.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Only work when you are fully alerted.
As you can see, there are quite a few ways that you can apply to cut a circle from a piece of wood- by using a jigsaw or a table saw. Both would have their own pros and cons but they are really fun and effective methods for you to cut a circle in wood. I hope that with these tips, you would be able to successfully make a wooden circle nicely and without much effort. Just a few times practicing and you would surely master these techniques.