How To Cut Foam Rubber From Different Tools
Foam rubber is really easy to handle using different tools such as knives or band saws. There is a wide range of foam rubber’s size with various thicknesses for your consideration with the needs of your projects as well. It is also easy to learn how to cut foam rubber.
In case you want to cut foam rubber but don’t know where to start and which tools to use, follow the guide below.
Tools That You Would Need To Cut Foam Rubber:
- Foam rubber.
- A ruler and a marking pen.
- Different tools to cut foam rubber include a utility knife, an electric knife and a band saw.
As you can see, I mention the needs of various tools for cutting foam rubber. In fact, there are different tools to cut foam rubber of different thickness. The amount of foam rubber also determines which tools you should use.
Here are the rules of thumb for choosing the proper tool to cut foam rubber:
- If you cut thin foam rubber- which has a thickness of around 1 inch or less, you can make use of a utility knife. For thicker pieces of foam rubber (which is more than 3 or 4 inches in thickness), go for electric carving knife. And for a really large foam rubber piece, a band saw or foam cutting saw is your ideal choice.
- If you need to cut a huge amount of foam rubber, a band saw would make your job more efficient. On the other hand, provided that you only need to cut a few pieces, an electric craving or utility knife is better.
- For cutting a long straight line, using an electric carving knife or a band saw would bring a clean cut. However, for a small complicated curve, a utility knife is a better tool for a more precise cut.
Once you decide on which tool you are going to use to cut foam rubber, follow these steps below for the most proper ways to cut them.
1. How To Cut Thin Foam Rubber with A Utility Knife
Step 1: Use a pen to draw out the shape and design that you want to cut the foam rubber into. You can use the pencil but it is easier to draw with a fine tip felt marking pen. Use the ruler to draw a straight line and a measuring tape to mark the precise lengths.
Step 2: Slightly press the foam down. Then use the utility knife to make small cuts along the drawn line around the area your fingers are pressing down.
Step 3: When one area is cut, move your fingers long the stretch and press again onto the next area. Continue to cut.
Step 4: Remove these steps until all of the lines are cut into the shape that you want.
Its Main Pros And Cons:
- Pros: A utility knife is versatile tool that is easy to handle. It is also very safe as well. Also this is the best method to use with round, small and complicated curves and shapes.
- Cons: Still, it would need a steady hand in order to make nice cuts on foam rubber. It takes time as well; hence, it is suitable for small project.
Here is one tip for you when using this tool: When pressing the foam rubber down and use the utility knife to cut, you might create marks or scratches on the underlying surface. To prevent this from happening, you should place a piece of plywood underneath the foam rubber.
2. How To Cut Slightly Thicker Foam Rubber with An Electric Carving Knife
Step 1: First of all, you should choose an electric carving knife with a thin and sharp blade.
Step 2: Turn on the appliance before moving it to cut the rubber foam.
Step 3: Place the foam onto a sturdy and even surface then slowly move the knife forward to cut the foam rubber, following the lines that you have drawn.
Its Main Pros And Cons:
- Pros: Just like the utility knife, an electric carving knife is a tool that you can easily find in many kitchens. It is also cheap to acquire one. You don’t have to use your fingers to compress on the foam rubber to have it cut. It is also effective to be used when you cut straight and curvy shapes.
- Cons: The main problem with an electric carving knife is that it is made with plastic parts, which would become overheat if you use it continuously for a long time. It is therefore suitable for cutting a moderate amount of foam.
Here is one tip for you when using this tool: Always turn on the knife before moving it closer to the foam rubber for cutting. It would help to prevent ripping of the foam.
3. How To Cut Thick Foam Rubber with A Band Saw or A Foam Cutting Saw
Step 1: First, you need to use a pencil or a marking pen to draw lines, circles or any shape you want to cut the foam rubber into.
Step 2: Turn on the band saw.
Step 3: Then slowly push the foam rubber into the blade of the band saw.
Step 4: Move the foam rubber along the line that you have stretched.
Alternatively, you can use a foam cutting saw to cut the foam rubber.
Step 1: Stretch the shape that you want to cut on the foam rubber.
Step 2: Turn on the foam cutting saw and move the saw along the drawn line to cut it.
Note: It is quicker and efficient to use a band saw. It also helps to bring out the cutouts with the nicest and smoothest edges. However, you need to pay attention when handling a band saw as you might injury yourself if you are not careful. A foam cutting saw is safer and more efficient. After all, it is the cutting tool made specifically for cutting foam. Two problems of using this tool are that it is fairly expensive and you can only use this tool for this specific purpose only.
I hope that with all of the guides above, you would be able to cut foam rubber in the quickest and most efficient way. After all, it is not difficult at all to work with foam rubber. As long as you choose the most proper way and know the right steps, you would be able to do the task in just a short amount of time.