How To Cut Plastic Lattice
Lattice is a beautiful form of design you can use to decorate your house. Many people also use lattice panels to decorate their garden and use them as fences as well. The most common materials which are used for making lattice are wood, plastic, PVC and polyvinyl chloride.
Among these types, the easiest material that you can work with is the plastic type. In fact, plastic and vinyl lattice are becoming more and more popular to many household DIY hobbyists. Plastic lattice can hold up well and will not fade over time, requiring little or no maintenance. It is also not challenging at all to learn how to cut plastic lattice. With the right tools and techniques, you would be able to cut plastic lattice to whatever shapes and sizes you desire for your decoration purpose.
First, let’s consider what the most suitable tools for cutting plastic lattice are:
As I mention right in the beginning, choosing the right tool is very important if you want to cut plastic lattice smoothly. The best tool for cutting plastic lattice is a circular saw with a plastic cutting blade. A second option of blade you can use is a fine toothed blade- a blade with small and straight teeth.
You should never go for a saw blade with large teeth capable of ripping and tearing. You also shouldn’t use any blade which is designed to cut through rough pieces of materials such as lumber. Always avoid a blade with large teeth.
Besides the circular saw, you can also use a power saw, a handsaw or trim saw for this project. The choice of which saw to use is based on your personal preference. As long as you feel comfortable handling the saw, you should use it.
- In case you have to do a lot of cutting in straight lines with the plastic lattice, the circular saw or power saw with the plastic cutting blade is your best option.
- On the other hand, if you need to cut the plastic lattice into angles and curves, you should use a power saber saw.
- Provided that you only need to cut a small and thin piece of plastic lattice, using a pair of compound snips could be the most practical way.
Tools you need for the project:
- A plastic lattice
- A ruler or measuring tape
- A pencil
- A ruler or a straight edge
- A screwdriver
- A circular saw with a plastic cutting blade/ Or a pair of compound snips
Follow these steps below to learn how to cut plastic lattice:
Step 1: First of all, you need to measure the sizes and measurements of your project. Measure the place where you intend to place the cut plastic lattice. Remember to allow for around 0.25 each size to accommodate any expansion or contraction. Then use a pencil to draw the line on the plastic lattice of where you want to cut it. Use a ruler or a straight edge to help you draw a straight line.
Step 2: Then follow the drawn line and remove any staple or nail that are in the way of this line. Staples and nails are used to help hold the position of the lattice in place. You can use a screwdriver to remove these stapes and nails. Doing so will help you to cut the plastic lattice much more smoothly. It also prevents the risk of these staples flying off to your eyes and face when they are cut.
>>> Now, follow these steps if you use hand saw or circular saw to cut plastic lattice:
Step 3: If you use a hand saw to cut plastic lattice, place the board with the front side up. On the other hand, if you use a circular saw, place the board of plastic lattice with the front side down.
Step 4: In the next step, you need to find a way to secure the lattice. You can ask other people to hold the other side of the piece of plastic lattice for you. You can also use clamps to hold the piece down. Keeping the piece of lattice secure while you cut it will prevent the plastic lattice from chipping or splitting.
Step 5: Start cutting the plastic lattice with the saw. You should cut onto the line with a smooth and steady pace following a straight line in order to prevent the plastic lattice board from chipping. Go as carefully as you can.
Step 6: When you are near the end of the drawn line for cutting, support the piece of plastic lattice even more firmly. This will make sure this plastic lattice board doesn’t chip or snap.
>>> Here are the steps on cutting plastic lattice with a pair of compounds snips:
Step 3: After you draw the line that you want to cut the plastic lattice into, use the snips to make small cuts. Just cut with this tool like when you cut with normal scissors. There are 3 main types of snips for you to choose from. A pair of straight snip allows you to cut straight lines while left cut snips and right cut snips allow you to cut counter clockwise and clockwise curves, respectively. Cut slowly and steadily until you reach the end of the drawn line.
Here are some final tips that you should apply when working with plastic lattice:
- In case you have to handle a big piece of plastic lattice, make sure you secure both sides of the piece so that you will have a smoother and more stable cut. You can also ask other people to hold the other side for you when you handle the plastic lattice
- No matter which blade you are going to use, make sure it is sharp. A dull blade will make your project become more difficult to handle and increase the level of risk. Not to mention that it will make the cuts not as clean and smooth.
- Just like when you work with other woodworking project, remember to wear your personal protective equipment. When you cut plastic lattice, small cuts and sparks could fly off and cause significant damages to your eyes and your face. So always wear your safety goggles to protect your eyes. You should also wear gloves. Ask your helper to wear his or her personal protective equipment as well.
Overall, cutting plastic lattice requires a little bit of time, effort and patience from you. You need to have a steady and slow cut for a smooth and clean result. But the result at the end will be well rewarding and worth all of your effort.
I hope that with all of the information above about choosing the right tools as well as guidance for the proper steps, you would be able to have nice and clean cut pieces of plastic lattice to work well for your decoration purposes.