How To Hollow Out A Log To Make A Handmade Planter
If you want to surround your house by flower or to greenery your garden, you can create rustic planters just from a log. Only with simple materials and easy technique on how to hollow out a log, let’s follow below instruction to turn an old log into a display of flower and plant.
- 1 #1. Prepare to Hollow out a Log
- 2 #2. How to Hollow Out a Log
- 3 Read more: 10 Best Cordless Drills for Professional Technicians 2020 – Choosing Product Brand
- 4 Video How To Hollow Out A Log with ChainSaw
- 5 #3. Some Memorable Tips to Hollow Out a Log:
- 6 Conclusion
#1. Prepare to Hollow out a Log
In order to turn a log into planters, you will need to prepare the following items:
- Gloves and Safety Goggles
- Measuring Tap
- Damp Cloth
- Drill with 1.5 inch and 1 inch spade drill bit
- Hammer and Framing Chisel
- Wood Sealer
- Paint Brush, Pencil or marker
- Plastic Planter
- Soil and Seed
#2. How to Hollow Out a Log
Let’s follow seven steps below to make a rustic planter:
Step 1. Choose Your Log
You should choose a log which is longer than plastic planter from 2 - 6 inches. Ideally, choose a large log with the length of 1 – 2 feet and 10 – 14 inches in diameter. Picking up any fallen log at your garden with nice texture, thick bark, and its bark has different hues, twigs and moss.
Choose flatter side of a log to place on the ground. Besides, to help your log stays steadily, place two bricks on two sides of a log.
Step 2. Measure Size of a Planter
Place the opening of a plastic planter upside down and sitting on your log. Next, you draw the outer rim on the log by a pencil or a marker.
Using a measure tap to trace the depth of a log based on the plastic planter. Use a pencil or a marker to mark the size of a planter on your log.
Step 3. Drill a Hole inside Your Log
Put on your working gloves and protective glasses before starting to drill a hole in the log. Place a drill with 1 inch spade drill bit at 1.5 inch inside planter surface. Drill with even and short force until you reach the depth needed which was marked on the log’s side.
Step 4. Chisel Your Log
Hammer and chisel are two indispensable tools on this step to remove excess wood remaining between holes and define the depth of your planter. Place the longest side of your chisel on the marked line and the other hand you use a hammer to strike the chisel.
Step 5. Drill Drainage Holes on Bottom of Your Log
This is the most important step in the whole process thus you need to strictly follow the instruction about how to hollow out a log. Use a drill with 1.5 spade drill bit to drill holes in the bottom of the planter to allow water to escape. You must keep each hole stays 4 inch apart to spare space between seeds.
Chisel Your Log – Photo Credit: www.inandaroundbraye.blogspot.com
Step 6. Decorate Your Planter
Wipe all sawdust and debris by a damp cloth and let your log dry completely before painting. Brush the opening of your log by wood sealer thoroughly. You can paint your planter’s sides whatever color you like and even the bottom by turning your planter over when the opening is dried completely.
Step 7. Plant Seeds
This is the last step to start using your achievement. Insert a plastic planter insider you log and pour potting soil into it. Add your favorite seeds or plants inside your handmade planter. If your planter is placed on the ground, you must use two bricks lay on two sides to keep you planter from falling down. Or if you prefer to hang your plant on the hanger in your balcony, drill two holes on two sides of your log and thread iron wire on two holes before hanging it up.
Rustic Planter from a Log – Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com
Video How To Hollow Out A Log with ChainSaw
#3. Some Memorable Tips to Hollow Out a Log:
- Don’t forget to wear working gloves and protective glasses to protect from sawdust and debris
- If you don’t want to use plastic planter but plant into the hollowed log only, make sure that the bottom of the log has plenty of holes for plant to grow roots.
- Bricks are used to keep a log steady while hollowing, thus they can be replaced by other heavy items.
- Remember to place seeds with enough space between them to get sunlight.
- Instead of using wood sealer, you can paint your log with different color after removing the bark to smooth log.
- You can place your log laying on the ground and hollow half of a log to make a plant bed.
Hopefully, after this article, you will know how to hollow out a log and success with your log planter DIY project. Make sure to prepare all necessary items and follow safety rules combine with your own imaginative innovation tohave your own charming and fascinating planter.