Jigsaw Or Circular Saw – Which Is The Right Tool For You?
Undoubtedly, the jigsaw and the circular saw are among the most popular power tools that you can find in workshops and garages. They are both powerful tools which you can use to perform a lot of different tasks.
Check our guide below for the features of the jigsaw and the circular saw. Also, learn about what they can do and the main differences between these tools in order to decide whether they are the right tool for you.
- 1 When Will You Need To Use The Jigsaw?
- 2 What are the main drawbacks of the jigsaw?
- 3 When Will You Need To Use The Circular Saw?
- 4 Which Is The Right Tool For You?
- 5 Conclusion
When Will You Need To Use The Jigsaw?
The jigsaw, which is also called the saber saw, is made with a motor and a reciprocating saw blade. The blade of the jigsaw is thin and narrow which moves up and down in order to cut through a piece of material. Overall, the jigsaw is a handheld type of saw.
Here is the list of what you can do with a jigsaw:
- The jigsaw is a very versatile power tool. With this tool, you can do a lot of cuts- from straight cuts, to curves and circles. In comparison with the circular saw, the jigsaw is a better tool for you if you want to have curved cuts.
- You can also perform inner cuts with the jigsaw, provided that there is a pre-drilled hole.
- It can work on a wide variety of materials- from wood, metal, to foam and plastic. There are many choices of blades for you to choose on the market and different blades can be used to cut different types of materials precisely and efficiently.
- It is small and portable, which allows you to carry the tool around without any difficulty. It also helps you with overhead work. And you can easily store the tool in your garage even if you have limited working station.
- You can also mount this tool to a platform. This will help you to balance the materials throughout the cutting process in order to have smoother and more precise cuts.
What are the main drawbacks of the jigsaw?
- The jigsaw is not the right tool for you if you are looking for a tool for smooth and precise cuts. If your project requires you to cut to the highest level of precision as possible, the jigsaw, which can only produce rough cuts, will not be able to deliver the job perfectly.
- This tool is also not the suitable tool for finishing tasks.
- Since it is a handheld tool, how much stable your cutting process is or how smooth your cuts are will depend largely on your skills, your experience, as well as your steady hands.
- Last but not least, keep in mind that the jigsaw tends to bounce over. As a result, it is even more difficult for an amateur carpenter to move the blade along the line that you want to cut - as steadily and evenly as you might want.
When Will You Need To Use The Circular Saw?
There are several things that the jigsaw and the circular saw both have. Both of the saw are handheld and operate using power. However, while the jigsaw has a thin and narrow blade, the circular saw has a circular blade. As you can see, the designs of the circular saw and the jigsaw are totally different. Hence, it would be easy for you to tell these two tools apart just by looking at them. However, they share some similar characteristics, which might confuse you.
What are the benefits of using the circular saw?
- Like the jigsaw, the circular saw is one of the most popular and versatile tools. It can perform a lot of cuts, especially straight cuts, and angled cuts quickly and efficiently. It can also be used o make rough rips and bevel cuts.
- In addition, the circular saw can help you cut through a wide range of materials from wood, to tiles, metal, masonry, and pipes. Of course, it would depend on the blades that you have in hand.
- You can use the circular saw for most of the DIY home projects such as making toolbox, masonry work, and roofing.
- Many choices of blades of the circular saws that you can find on the market have more than 50 teeth. As a result, you would be able to have many smooth and clean cuts.
- There are many choices of blades for you to choose from with a circular saw. For example, you can go with a big blade with fewer teeth if you want to have fast cuts. On the other hand, you can go with a blade with a lot of teeth in order to have smoother and cleaner cuts.
- Last but not least, the circular saw is also a very compact and portable handheld saw. As a result, it is easy for you to carry the circular around as well as storing it in your small garage.
What are the main drawbacks of the circular saw?
- The circular saw is the powerful tool only when you know which jigs you should use. For example, if you want to have the perfect 90-degree cut, you might need to use some extra tools for the task. It requires knowledge and experience.
- It can lead to rough edges on the sides of the cut pieces of material.
- It is not as good as the jigsaw in term of making curved cuts. The curved cuts made with the circular saw might not be as accurate and clean.
Which Is The Right Tool For You?
The choice of which tool- the circular saw or the jigsaw that you should buy as the first tool for your workshop depends on your personal needs and preferences.
Both of the tools are the most popular and versatile tools that can help you deal with a lot of projects. If you can afford it, it is the best that you can buy these 2 tools that you will use a lot in the future. The reason is, while both of the tools are so versatile, there are some tasks and projects that the circular saw is a more suitable tool to use rather than the jigsaw and vice versa.
For example, the jigsaw is a better tool for plunge cuts rather than the circular saw. In addition, cutting curves can be better done with the help of a jigsaw rather than the circular saw. On the other hand, in term of cutting straight cuts, no other tool is better than the circular saw.
So think about your projects and what cuts you would often have to make more. If your projects require a lot of straight cuts, you might consider buying the circular saw. On the other hand, the jigsaw would be the better choice for you if your projects require a lot of curved cuts and plunge cuts.
However, keep in mind that the circular saw or the jigsaw alone will not help you much with all of the tasks and projects. You need to have the right blades, the right jigs as well as a lot of experience in order to have the best cuts.
You might end up owing only 1 type of saw. However, if you know how to make use of other jigs and accessories, I am sure that you would still be able to make the most out of the tool that you have. As I have mentioned above, the circular saw is a better tool for you to make straight cuts rather than the jigsaw. However, if you have the jigsaw, you can still make use of the straightedge cutting guides. And you can still have curved cuts with the circular saw if you have the right jigs and knowledge for the needed tricks.
No tool is better than the other tool. So the choice of which type of saw- the jigsaw or the circular saw to buy depends much on your personal preferences and requirements.
Still, no matter what tool that you are going to buy, you need to choose the one with a decent quality. It needs to be powerful enough for the projects that you want to do. And it needs to be durable and long-lasting so that your initial investment can last for a long time.
There are many other things that you need to consider including the size of the blade, the size of the saw, the power of the saw, as well as the safety features of the tools. As long as you spend enough time researching, I am sure that you would be able to find the most suitable tool for your projects in the future.
As you can see, both of the circular saw and the jigsaw are the most powerful and versatile tool. Still, they have their own strengths and weaknesses. The circular saw is better for some types of projects and the jigsaw is better for some others. They are not the same and definitely not interchangeable.
I hope that with all of the information above, you would be able to choose the right tool for your specific needs and requirements. With the most suitable tools, I am sure that you would be able finish many woodworking projects and other projects in the future.